Dear Friends and Neighbors,
The Legislature has convened for the 2020 session. It's an honor to represent you, our communities, and shared values in Olympia. With a busy legislative agenda, my top priorities for the 60-day session focus on common-sense solutions that transform and improve the way government works. This year I've sponsored several bills that would do just that, including:
Putting an end to title-only bills. Introduced with no content, title-only bills, commonly called “ghost bills,” are amended later with text and often rushed through the legislative process—bypassing the public's right to scrutinize legislation. House Bill 2190 seeks to stop this practice by giving the people and their representatives time to review legislation before it's voted on.
Reducing property taxes. With the state continuing to realize a budget surplus, it's time for excess monies to go back into the pocketbooks of taxpayers. Designed to reflect the amount of increased tax revenue being collected by the state, House Bill 2222 would gradually lower the state's portion of property taxes by 35% over the next few years.
Protecting Second Amendment rights. So-called 'red-flag' laws can be used to target victims in need of the wherewithal to protect themselves from their abuser. House Bill 2223 would put limits on laws that allow law enforcement to confiscate firearms from people who have not committed a crime.
Establishing the will of the people. After voters reject a statewide ballot measure, there are winners and losers. House Bill 2267 would prohibit policy statements or executive orders that run counter to initiatives or referendums rejected by the people in a statewide election.
For a look at other bills I'm sponsoring or co-sponsoring visit my webpage or call my office for more information.
Telephone Town Hall
Mark your calendars! I'm hosting a telephone town hall from Olympia on Monday, Feb. 24 from 6 to 7 p.m. To take part, dial (360) 209-6593 at the start of the event. During the hourlong call, I'll provide updates on the 2020 session and open the phone lines to answer your questions.
Stay informed and connected
During the legislative session, I'll be sending frequent updates on bills being debated in Olympia. In addition, I've listed several helpful links below that can keep you informed and updated on the activities of your state Legislature:
- My legislative website | Here you will find my contact information, bio, news releases, email updates, videos, opinion pieces, bills, and other information.
- The Washington State Ledger | News aggregator | View breaking news, policy updates and opinions from the House Republican Caucus.
- The Current | An online legislative publication from the Washington House Republicans. Click on the link to subscribe.
- TVW | The state's own version of C-SPAN, TVW broadcasts floor and committee action live online.
- Legislature's website | You can find bill reports, committee agendas, and information about upcoming activities in the Legislature here.
- Capitol Campus activities and events | Find a calendar of legislative events here.
If you have questions about state government-related matters or public policy concerns, feel free to contact me. I'm always glad to talk with you.
Thank you for allowing me to represent you in Olympia.